Dr. Geoffrey Silvera is an accomplished researcher with a passion for improving healthcare systems and driving positive change for all patients. His research interests include healthcare management, patient experience, care quality and safety, and health equity. Dr. Silvera’s work has been published in leading healthcare management and policy journals, and he has been recognized with awards for his scholarship. Dr. Silvera’s research has important implications for healthcare practitioners and policymakers alike. His work sheds light on the factors that contribute to high-quality, patient-centered care, and offers insights into how healthcare organizations can improve their operations to better serve patients.
Downloadable CV: Last Updated August 15, 2022
- Silvera, G.A. & Haun, C.N., Technology About Me Without Me: An Examination of the Relationship between Patient-facing Technology and Patient Experience, Forthcoming at Patient Experience Journal (PXJ)
- Silvera, G.A, Shay, P.D., Robbins, J., Landry A.Y., Fishman, P.A., & Louis, C.J., While You Were(n’t) Sleeping: The Future of Health Administration Education, In Press at Journal of Health Administration Education (JHAE).
- Williams, J., Silvera, G.A., & Lemak, C.H., Diversity Management in Health Care Organizations, In Press at Advances in Health Care Management.
- Cole, A.B.* Haun, C.N., & Silvera, G.A.. (2022)Mixed Signals: The Influence of Diversity Value Signaling in Leading U.S. Hospitals, Journal of Hospital Management and Health Policy (JHMHP). In Press.
- Silvera, G.A., Wolf, J.A., Stanowski, A.S, & Studer, Q. (2021). The influence of COVID-19 visitation restrictions on patient experience and safety outcomes: A critical role for subjective advocates, Patient Experience Journal (PXJ), 8(1). 30-39. DOI: 10.35680/2372-0247.1596 Link to article
- Silvera, G.S., Hamadi, H.Y., & Tafili, A.T.*. (2021). Hands and Gloves: The Relationship between CEOs and Organizational Context in U.S. Hospitals, International Journal of Healthcare Management (IJHM) DOI:10.1080/20479700.2020.1870351 Link to article
- Fisk, J.M., Morris, J.C., Silvera, G.A., Chen, X. Chen, X., Crayton, M.M, & Hume, J.C., (2021). Toward the Roux: Explaining the Adoption of Inclusionary Practices in Local Governments, State and Local Government Review (SLGR) DOI:10.1177/0160323X20986845 Link to article
- Silvera, G.A. & Clark, J.R. (2021). Women at the Helm: CEO Gender and Patient Experience in the Hospital Industry. Health Care Management Review (HCMR). 46 (3), 206-216. DOI: 10.1097 Link to article
- Fisk, J.M., Haun, C.N.*, & Silvera, G.A. Developing and Assessing Workplace Diversity: The Essential Characteristics of Cultural Competency. Public Integrity Link to Article
- Silvera, G.A. (2016). A Call to Excellence in Patient Experience. Patient Experience Journal (PXJ), 3(1), 5-6. Link to Article
- Lehrman, W.G., Silvera, G.A., & Wolf, J.A. (2014). The Patient Experience Movement Moment. Patient Experience Journal (PXJ), 1(2), 9-11. Link to Article
- Carlson, B., Merlino, J. , Roe, K., Silvera, G.A, & Hagood, C. “PX Isn’t What it Was or Has Been and It’s Changing”, UAB HSA Webinar Series. Virtual. September 2021. (Link)
- Silvera, G.A. & Fisk, J.M. 3-Part Webinar Series “Equity and Inclusion: A Strategic Organizational Approach”. International City and County Management Association (ICMA)
- Establishing Inclusion as a Value, March 31, 2021, [644 participants]
- Kickstarting Inclusion, April 28, 2021 [330 paid participants]
- Keep Moving Forward, May 26, 2021 [330 paid participants]
- Silvera, G.A. & Clark, J.R. Empathy Revealed: A Factor Analysis of Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) Surveys. AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting. Baltimore, MD. June 22-26, 2013.
- Winner: Best Student Poster Award
- PXJ Article of the Year Award (2021) Link
- SEC Travel Grant Recipient (2018)
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) New Connections Scholar
- Outstanding Student Paper, Southern Management Association, Healthcare Management Track*
- Outstanding Student Paper, Southern Management Association, Strategy Track
- Best Student Poster, AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting